Study of 2667 Americans reveals the surprising truth about seniors’ sex lives. In an eye-opening insight into the sexual behaviors of the elderly, a study of 2667 Americans has revealed that seniors’ early bedtimes have nothing to do with wanting more sleep.
• 91% of over 70s said sex is important in a relationship
• 81% of over 70s said sex gets better with age
• Over 70s are more ok with casual sex than singles aged 18-30
• Over 70s are less accepting of celibacy than singles aged 18-30
• And for the romantics: 97% of over 70s believe you can fall in love at any age
Sorry, seniors still have sex – and a lot of it
The survey found that 91% of over 70s believed sex to be ‘important’ in a relationship, with 33% rating it as ‘very important’. In fact, 81% of over 70s said sex gets better with age!
Grandma, what a big sex drive you have!
A gender comparison revealed that older women are the slightly more fervent fornicators; 87% of women think the quality of sex improves with age and experience, compared with 77% of men.
- Dating in Los Angeles? How EliteSingles can help
- Looking to meet other Christians? Start Christian dating with us
No rest in their twilight years: over 70s want sex more than singles in their 20s
In a finding that’s sure to surprise (and perhaps dismay), the study showed that seniors over 70 have a higher desire for sex than singles aged 18-30. Indeed, celibacy was considered less acceptable for older singles than the younger ones; just 9% of seniors said they were ‘happy without sex in a relationship’, compared to 19% of the 18-30 year olds. The over 70s were also more accepting of casual sex; 75% said they don’t need to wait for a solid relationship commitment before having sex, a sentiment which was shared with just 56% of younger singles.
- Looking to meet Lesbian singles? Find true compatibility with us
- Looking for some romantic things to do in San Francisco? Try these
Romance isn’t dead
They may have been around the block, but that doesn’t mean seniors have lost their faith in love. Even after break-up, separation and divorce, 97% believe you can fall in love at any age. Sixty- two percent of seniors still believe in love at first sight, and superficial attraction remains important; the face, chest and hair were voted the top 3 most attractive features in an older person.
Psychologist says, ‘there’s no age limit to eroticism’
EliteSingles’ Psychologist Salama Marine says ‘People tend to feel uncomfortable with the idea of senior sexuality because it has nothing to do with reproduction; senior sex is purely about love and sexual fulfilment. But in a society often too associated with youth, we tend to forget that there is no age limit to desire and eroticism. We must recognise that today’s seniors have lived through society’s sexual liberalisation and enjoy the same sexual freedom as the rest of us.’
- Want great flowing conversation on your first date? Try these first date questions
- Want to know how to flirt online? Follow our Dos and Don’ts
*Sourced from anonymous user data