Educated, mature, and professional, there’s a lot to recommend dating a lawyer. Whether you’re a single lawyer hoping to connect with others despite your hectic schedule or you’re just keen to date a lawyer yourself, our site offers you a chance to meet “the one.” Designed for busy people, EliteSingles offers a unique matchmaking service that pairs you with compatible potential partners. Want to meet your match? Start today!
Dating a Lawyer and Unveiling Their Unique World
You may have a perception of lawyers that is not entirely accurate. While you can assume that lawyers are intelligent, disciplined, and usually make a good income, there are many common misconceptions about attorneys.
- Not all Attorneys are Trial Lawyers – Not all attorneys make their living in a courtroom. Even trial attorneys spend the majority of their time outside the courtroom.
- Lawyers Have Specialties – The role of a personal injury lawyer is different than that of a criminal lawyer. Many lawyers are employed by large corporations and strictly work on contracts. If you want to know about what kind of law an attorney practices and what that entails, ask them. Asking a divorce attorney if they’ve ever gotten anyone off on a murder charge can be awkward and embarrassing.
- Attorneys Often Work Many Hours – If you think that dating an attorney means that they’ll always be available for dinner, you might be in for a shock — particularly if they’re a junior associate in a law firm. However, even senior attorneys and partners have periods when they put in extra time to prepare for a large case or deal.
- The Legal Profession Has a High Rate of Alcoholism – Attorneys have a higher rate of alcoholism. Of course, this does not mean that all lawyers abuse alcohol or are even drinkers. However, the high-stress levels of the job may manifest themselves in other ways.
It’s important that you don’t generalize. Just because you were dating a lawyer in the past doesn’t mean you know what it’s like to date this entirely different attorney.
The Pros of Dating a Legal Professional
There are many advantages of professional dating. Here are a few reasons why so many people love dating a lawyer:
They Are Polished
Lawyers deal with clients, colleagues, judges, and other people throughout their day. The way they present themselves to others is an essential part of their job requirements. Most of them couldn’t turn off the charm even if they wanted to.
They Have an Important Job
If you don’t understand the vital role that an attorney plays in the lives of their clients, it’s probably because you’ve never been a client. Many people find this an irresistible quality of attorneys.
Excellent Dressing and Grooming
Most attorneys are nice dressers and have very high grooming standards. That means that both men and women wear professional attire and put their best foot forward regarding personal care.
It’s a Good Living
Not every attorney is wealthy or has a high income, but if they are employed, they make a living wage. Additionally, there are many ways to advance and increase income in the legal profession. If you have concerns about financial security, dating a lawyer may be a good choice for you.
How Lawyers Approach Love and Relationships
Attorneys are people first and attorneys second. However, their job may affect the way they approach relationships. As a rule, attorneys expect dating partners to be understanding about their busy schedules. This can be somewhat of a dealbreaker for many attorneys who have worked hard to get to their respective levels.
Whether you’re interested in dating a single female lawyer or a male attorney, you should make sure you’re on the same page as far as spending time together goes. Otherwise, you could find that it’s a source of contention.
Balancing Personal Relationships with Professional Responsibilities
Whether you’re dating a lawyer or you’re a lawyer who’s dating, if you want your relationship to succeed, you need to achieve a balance between your work life and dating life. No reasonable person thinks that you should have to dedicate the same amount of time to each — especially if the relationship is new — but you need to know when to turn work off and focus on the person in front of you. Here are a few tips to help you achieve this:
- Schedule dates for times when you know you’re not going to be interrupted. Late dinners and cocktails might work better than happy hour if your phone doesn’t stop ringing at five o’clock.
- Don’t always talk shop. You know your job is interesting, but make sure the other person is engaged in the stories you’re telling them.
- Show appreciation for their understanding. “Thanks for putting up with my crazy schedule. I’m going to step away from work tonight so we can have a proper date.”
There won’t be a time in your career when it isn’t demanding, so try to achieve balance on a daily basis instead of waiting for a quiet period that will never come.
How Dating a Lawyer Can Empower Your Relationship
Whether you’re dating a single female lawyer or a single male lawyer, it can give you a boost of confidence about your relationship. For one, many attorneys have the ability to be selective about dating partners. They chose you for a reason. Additionally, you know that they’re sacrificing valuable time to make a go at a relationship. That means that it’s a priority. Finally, most busy professionals don’t have time for games. It will improve your ability to take your dating partner at their word instead of looking for the hidden subtext.
Dispelling Myths About Dating Lawyers
The legal profession has a disproportionately high number of myths and misconceptions about its members. Here are some of the popular myths that we would like to dispel:
- Lawyers are Mostly About Money – Attorneys tend to make higher salaries due to the value that society places on their training and abilities. However, many attorneys perform pro bono work and are extremely charitable.
- Lawyers are Argumentative – Part of an attorney’s role may be to argue on behalf of their clients, but many know how to switch it off.
- Attorneys are Big Drinkers – As was mentioned above, the rate of alcohol abuse is higher in the legal field. However, this is a consideration you should judge on a case-by-case basis.
- Attorneys are Required to Lie for Their Clients – This is one of the most common misconceptions about lawyers. Attorneys are, however, required to keep confidences, which means that they can’t disclose certain information. That does not, however, allow them to lie to cover up that information.
If you’ve found this article by searching for “male attorneys nearby” or “female lawyers near me,” it might be to your benefit to learn a little about the profession. You can often find valuable information about attorney requirements from the state bar’s website. Not only will this give you a different perspective on lawyer dating, but it will provide you with an appreciation for the work that they’ve done to get there.
Lawyer Dating with EliteSingles
Bigger and better than the niche lawyer dating sites, EliteSingles is the go-to destination for those looking for lasting romance. EliteSingles was made for professional singles, so if you want to meet an attorney for a little more than just legal advice, we can help! Our experience has assisted us in building a dating site that works and, as thousands of members each month can attest, EliteSingles can connect you with interesting and dynamic singles – great male and female lawyers included…
If the question you constantly pose to yourself is along the lines of ‘why haven’t I met the right person for me yet?’ then perhaps it’s time to try something new. EliteSingles offers a unique matchmaking service that sends you 3-7 new matches each and every day – perfect when you’re a busy executive type who just doesn’t have the time to trawl through thousands of dating profiles. When you do have more time, search through additional matches using our ‘Have you met?’ feature. Meeting new people through us couldn’t be simpler.
Case closed, court adjourned. Join EliteSingles and meet your match today!
Who You‘ll Meet
It might seem like a bold claim to say that our members are mature and intelligent, but it isn’t! It’s a good reflection of who you’ll meet on our website. The average EliteSingles member is a single professional dating in their 40s, usually educated to a high level – a staggering 85% of our members hold an above-average education!
EliteSingles is a diverse dating site that puts you on the right path to find long-lasting romance, whoever you are. With many LGBT singles, members who have joined our popular Asian and African American dating communities, and religious singles – from Christian backgrounds to practicing Buddhists – we’re proud to say that we welcome singles from all walks of life onto our site. As long as you’re a mature, intelligent and professional person, you’ll fit right in here!
Dating a Lawyer: Our Tips
The first thing to accept when dating a lawyer is that you might need to be flexible – a hectic schedule means they may not have much availability to see you. Similar to the medical profession, from law school until retirement, the legal profession is a career lawyer’s first love. From selecting a specialty, to securing an enviable post at a prestigious law firm, to gaining their very own high power reputation in their chosen field, a lawyer’s career is carefully built.
Like many career-minded singles, the best lawyers love their jobs. So where does this leave the people in their lives? As long as you can accept that your partner’s life extends beyond the threshold of your home, then why not date a lawyer? They’re a passionate, smart and ambitious bunch, but there are worse things to be!